Cheeky projection onto shop near Apple’s London flagship storeWell, we like BlackBerry’s style this time. The night before the launch of Apple’s latest iPhone handsets – the 5s and 5c, the company projects an image onto the shops next door to Apple’s London flagship store. The event was to publicise the fact that BBM for Android will be available at 12 pm [London time] (7AM EDT) on Saturday 21st September and BBM for iPhone will be available at 12.01 am (7.01 EDT) on Sunday 22nd September . This should give a welcome boost for the Canadian handset supplier’s flagging fortunes. It means that BlackBerry fanbois will be able to hang onto their existing hardware and still keep in touch with their friends. Now that BlackBerry’s IM service – BlackBerry Messenger or BBM, for short, will soon be available for the two leading mobile OS.
GoMo News really likes BlackBerry’s style in stealing some thunder away from its arch rival’s smartphone launch.
The app will, of course, be free for download from Google Play (for Android) and Apple’s iTunes App store.
However, if you’re having any trouble finding the app just point your mobile phone’s browser to www.BBM.com and when the app is available there will be a suitable link.
“With more than a billion Android, iOS, and BlackBerry smartphones in the market, and no dominant mobile messaging platform, this is absolutely the right time to bring BBM to Android and iPhone customers,” claimed Andrew Bocking, exec vp for BBM with BlackBerry.
Here are some of the features you can expect: -
- BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let you know that your message has been delivered and read, it also shows you that your friend is responding to the message
- More than chat – With BBM you can share files on your phone such as photos and voice notes, all in an instant
- Keep your group in the loop – Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together. BBM Groups lets you invite up to 30 friends to chat together, and go a step further than multi-chat by sharing photos and schedules. And, with Broadcast Message, you can send a message out to all your BBM contacts at once
- Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets you post a personal message, profile picture and your current status, and lets your contacts know instantly in Updates
- Your unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains your privacy, so you don’t have to give out your phone number or email address to a new or casual contact
And there’s more. BBM Channels will provide a forum for active, real conversations between you and the people, brands, celebrities, artists, service providers, communities and more, that matter to you.
By creating a Channel, individuals and brands can engage their friends and communities in conversations sparked by their thoughts, ideas and passions.
Subscribing to a Channel will let you join conversations with people who share your interests.
In addition, BBM Video calling and BBM Voice calling are planned for availability for Android and iPhone in a future version.