Consumers can save up to £500 while chatting, emailing and browsing
London, 20th October, 2008: A device that offers consumers an alternative to a smartphone or mini-PC has today been launched by IMOVIO. The iKIT is a Pocket Mobile Companion that at 95mm by 65mm and only 15.5mm high is as portable as a mobile phone. Yet the WiFi and HSDPA enabled device comes with a full QWERTY/AZERTY keyboard, an 8GB SD card slot and a 2.8 inch QVGA display, making it a fully functional communicating and browsing device and a viable substitute for a laptop.
The stylish iKIT is a dedicated chat, email and internet accessory and unlike smartphones it is fully optimised for that purpose. The clamshell design provides users with a full keyboard and landscape screen that don’t have to be compromised for voice calls. Dedicated hotkeys for all of the applications, including a music and video player and webcam, coupled with the elegant design mean that iKIT is the ultimate, portable multimedia device.
The suggested retail price of approximately £99 or €130, combined with the functionality, make the iKIT a very attractive device for a youth audience, as well as appealing to travelers who need a quick and easy-to-use messaging alternative. By buying the iKIT, consumers will be able to save up to £500 on an iPhone* or mini-PC** and with potential operator subsidies the savings may be even greater.
“Many consumers can’t afford the latest smartphone or mini-PC gadget, while others simply can’t use or just don’t like the existing form factors. This means that large groups of people still don’t fully utilise mobile data,” said Dr Jack Torobin, CEO of IMOVIO. “These users, mainly women and teens, still want to have the ability to send emails, browse the web and update their on-line profiles whilst they are out and about.”
“We designed the iKIT to be an alternative to a smartphone or mini-PC,” said Nigel Newby-House, Head of Design at IMOVIO. “It’s a beautifully designed mobile device that provides all the multi-media and messaging capabilities a mobile consumer needs. But at a much better price.”
For mobile and broadband providers, the iKIT is the perfect device to complement their existing range and can be offered to consumers as an add-on device to go with the existing choice of phones, laptops or HSDPA cards. Alternatively, the iKIT can be used to increase customer retention or reduce churn by offering it as a subsidised device for users signing up or renewing broadband or mobile data packages.
Dr. Torobin continued, “the iKIT will allow operators to target the demographics that are currently not well served for mobile data. And as an HSDPA enabled device, it offers a great entry level product for operators to increase usage of their high-speed networks.”
Some of the many operator benefits of the iKIT include:
- The iKIT is brandable to match an operator’s existing portfolio of devices
- For mobile operators, the iKIT will increase take up of new unlimited data plans on the new high-speed networks, without users having to change from their much-loved handset
- For broadband providers the iKIT is the ideal second device that can be used to share the home network, providing the messaging capabilities needed without the high cost of a new laptop
- The iKIT opens up a market to a previously disenfranchised demographic that can neither afford, or fully utilise a smartphone or laptop
- The suggested retail price of approximately £99 or €130 means that the iKIT is the perfect device for consumers to purchase as an add-on device – increasing the number of transactions and therefore loyalty
- Operators can now offer teens and other key demographics, like senior citizens, a device that offers exactly the right amount of functionality without the price, commitment or unnecessary processing power of either a laptop or smartphone
On top of the Linux 2.4.19 operating system (OS) the iKIT runs the multi-media and communication tools required by the teen and youth audience. Browsing is optimised for the form factor with Opera Mini 4.1 and the device uses a standard mini-usb port for headphones, charging and synching the device. With storage for over 2,000 contacts and a stand-by battery life of up to 250 hours, the iKIT belies its lightweight, stylish appearance.