Rating: Zoosk sees major growth in mobile access to its dating site
Describing itself as the “romantic social network”, Zoosk has seen a massive increase in the number of users accessing the site via mobile. Zoosk recently released an HTML5 version of Zoosk.com to help ensure its service is accessible on most mobile devices. Over the last twelve months, mobile traffic to the site HTML5 and mobile apps has increased by 148 per cent. It has two native apps and the company has found that Android Zoosk users account for 55 per cent of mobile app usage, whilst iOS users claims the other 45 per cent of apps traffic. So Android handset owners are obviously lonelier than those with iPhones or iPads. Nonetheless, Zook’s app is still the top grossing social networking app in Apple’s iTunes store.¹More interesting mobile stats from Zoosk include the fact that native mobile apps account for 61 per cent of mobile traffic, whilst 55 per cent comes from mobile web – indicating an overlap of 16 per cent.
Zoosk users also don’t like Mondays (or Sundays, actually) because those two days enjoy 10 per cent higher mobile traffic.
By contrast they are much happier on Thursdays and Fridays with 5 per cent lower traffic than average as users anticipate the weekend.
“Zoosk has seen an increasing demand for mobile access from its members as consumers continue to grow accustomed to using their phones to access their favourite sites and services,” said Julie Spira, author, online dating expert and founder of CyberDatingExpert.com.
She added, “Mobile phones have transformed into our wallets, personal shoppers, televisions, books – even matchmakers with the growth of mobile dating.”
The most popular use of Zoosk is for users to post their romantic moments on their joint couple profiles, with 23 per cent of all moments being captured on mobile devices.
Shayan Zadeh, co-CEO with Zoosk, observed, “Over the past few years, we have seen a tremendous growth in the use of our mobile applications causing our team to enhance our mobile offerings to suit the needs of our on-the-go customers.
Zoosk has had a platform agnostic approach from day one.”
Still, mobile is a long way from dominating the Zook site entirely. Only 15 per cent of Zoosk daily users currently engage with the site through mobile. ²
GoMobile News notices that Zoosk steers well clear of mentioning what percentage of its mobile users are gay.
1. App Annie stat from August, 2012, ‘Top-Five Matrix – Social Networking‘
2. Quantcast finding from August 2012