Rating: It is all about a multi-device world
Google has just announced on its blog here that it is upgrading AdWords, by rolling out something called ‘Enhanced Campaigns’. It claims this is a first step to help advertisers more simply and smartly manage your ad campaigns in a multi-device world. The search giant points at a recent study that it undertook last August  into multi-device consumers. This found that a 90 per cent move sequentially between several screens to accomplish a task. There’s also a proliferation of new devices — PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones, hybrid devices, mini-tablets, and smart televisions. As devices converge, consumer behaviour on tablets and desktops is becoming very similar, Google argues.
On its blog, Google says, “With Enhanced Campaigns, instead of having to cobble together and compare several separate campaigns, reports and ad extensions [an advertiser] can easily manage all of this in one single place.”
Google continues, “Enhanced Campaigns help you reach people with the right ads, based on their context like location, time of day and device type, across all devices without having to set up and manage several separate campaigns.”
The blog goes on to list the key features which it claims Enhanced Campaigns provide. These are: -
- Powerful marketing tools for the multi-device world
- People want search results that are relevant for the context they are in — their device, location and the time of day. Enhanced campaigns help you better manage your campaigns and budgets for this multi-device world. With bid adjustments, you can manage bids for your ads across devices, locations, time of day and more — all from a single campaign.
- Smarter ads optimized for varying user contexts
- People on the go or near your store may be looking for different things than someone sitting at their desk. With enhanced campaigns, you’ll show ads across devices with the right ad text, sitelink, app or extension, without having to edit each campaign for every possible combination of devices, location and time of day.
- Advanced reports to measure new conversion types
- Technology is enabling people to take action on your ads in new ways. Potential customers may see your ad and download your app, or they may call you. It’s been hard for marketers to easily measure and compare these interactions. To help you measure the full value of your campaigns, enhanced campaigns enables you to easily count calls and app downloads as conversions in your AdWords reports.
- Upgrading to enhanced campaigns
- Enhanced campaigns will roll out to advertisers as an option over the next few weeks, and we plan to upgrade all campaigns in mid-2013.
Finally Google says, “Enhanced campaigns are designed to help you succeed in a multi-screen world, but we know that transitioning may involve some initial changes.”